Hurricane Sandy is making herself felt, just fourteen months after Irene left us without power for eight days. We spent yesterday preparing. The generator, purchased after last year’s ordeal, is gassed up and ready to go if needed. We dug up the potatoes and carrots, and pulled out the celeriac and kohlrabi. Only the parsnips remain in the garden (if they stay in the ground through a frost they will get sweeter). I also potted rosemary and thyme plants, bringing them inside for winter use. Sage is drying from a hook in the dining room. The gardens need a lot more clean up, but that can wait until next weekend.
I was headed to New York City for work, but public transportation stopped running at 7 pm last night. Bridges and tunnels are closing—shutting off all access to the city. My mother, safely in her apartment, said that yellow tape blocked the entrance to Riverside Park.
While rain and wind buffet the house, Cherisse is in the kitchen removing honey from numerous frames. Our bees are not going to survive the winter. The oldest hive has almost no bees left, and the newer hive has too few to make it through. We aren’t exactly sure where we went wrong, but we think that our two replacement queens simply were not productive. I am sure human error played a big role.
Once the storm passes we will check the hives again; we want to see how many bees are in the newer hive and then we might leave them with honey, and see if they can make it. We are taking the frames from the older hive because they don’t need it, plus we don’t want other creatures (rodents most likely) to take advantage of the defenseless hive and steal the honey. This surplus of honey for us comes at a sad cost. Next spring we will have to buy new colonies and start over again—hopefully just a little wiser.